Simple Steps on How to Write a Thesis Statement
Many students find it difficult to understand what exactly a thesis is, how to write it and what to do with it once you have written it. Although the thesis is presented at the beginning of the paper, it does not mean that it is always the first part of the paper that you write. In fact, many of the thesis is subject to several revisions as the work is being written. While tweaks are normal, many revisions should keep the thesis of your message the same.
When you break it down, a thesis statement is simply a statement of the position you take on a topic for your essay. There are five different types of thesis statements and each sets the tone of the approach that work will take on a particular topic.
- Consequences – The thesis statement takes the current position and expands it into the future to draw a conclusion. This approach enables the author to address social, environmental, cultural, or political issues not so much that he might depict them in the future, but how the persistence of those issues could lead to serious problems in the future. This approach is often used when writing about climate change, terrorism investigation techniques, and the future role/dependency of people on the internet and social media.
- Alternative Solutions: An approach that uses alternative solutions offers new ways of thinking about problems that many people think there is no real solution. This is a great way to start a new dialogue on timeless topics like prison overcrowding and how to successfully rehabilitate criminals.
- New information – some newspapers just want to inform, and this approach opens the door to informing readers about unknown corners of history. This can be an effective approach when it comes to issues like genetically modified food, the power of retail lobbyists, and historic (and disruptive) government programs like MK-Ultra.
- Cause and Effect – Perhaps one of the most popular approaches to research and thesis work. This is simply using the formula that “a” leads to “b”. Cause and effect are stronger when the effect they are associated with is not generally associated with it. For example, carbon emissions have been linked to climate change, which in turn may lead to a higher incidence of skin cancer due to the depletion of the ozone layer. So the focus is not on climate change, but on how it affects the health of the world.
- Parallel (aka Everything Connected) – An approach that depicts parallel attempts to show readers how two topics are actually related. This is a common approach when comparing things like the history of human exploration on a global scale with its feeding into space exploration.
If you use any of these techniques while writing your thesis, make sure that you have set the tone and direction of the paper. When writing your thesis, be careful not to fall into the usual pitfalls that your thesis does not represent.
The thesis statement is not …
- Simple title or outline
- Definition of your topic
- Opinions of others on your topic
- Collection or establishment of facts
Writing your thesis – from the first draft to the final product
Writing an effective thesis is no coincidence. You should prepare a business statement when you start your work. Think about your topic, the position you want to take, and how you want your post to empower the reader. That way, you can find the one that best fits your research style, style, and purpose. Next, use this formula to write the first draft of your thesis:
Topic + action / action / current situation + results, effects, predictions, information or communication (depending on the selected statement style)
This simple formula isn’t going to lead to any of your best literary moments, but it does give you the foundation on which to build your paper and your final statement. From there, you can create an outline and start drafting the paper yourself, while modifying your original thesis as needed. As you identify and complete the body of the paper, periodically review your original thesis to make sure the paper still fits that statement. This will keep your thoughts and writing from straying from shadows that could confuse or distract your readers.
This simple approach to writing your thesis allows you to include an introduction to your topic, set the tone for the direction of the work, and even give your final conclusions. This brings unity to your ideas and ties your paper together from the start. I’m finally giving you a chance to organize
Get Help Writing Your Essay
Writing a good essay paper is not as easy as it might seem at first glance. This is why our competent writers, experienced in essay writing are at your side for all questions related to essays. You can easily access our professional help at any stage of the essay paper. The core value of our service is reliability. You can access our quick help at any time