SIM335 Managing Projects
This is an individual assignment – complete both Tasks 1 and 2
Background: The assignment is intended to bring out the benefits and limitations of the four stages of Project life cycle with different approaches to project planning and control by relating these to the circumstances in the cases outlined. It is also intended to allow students to demonstrate their learning and competence in respect of the management of resources generally but in particular elements of scope, schedule, quality, and cost.
References: Citation(s) is/are essential to both tasks to demonstrate students’ ability to fulfil academic writing style in accordance to Harvard referencing. Statements without citation(s) will result in a reducing grade for the corresponding task. Minimum of FIVE (5) references are required and references to be listed at the end of both Tasks.
Task 1 (40% marks) 800 words (+/- 10%)
Q1. List and explain the four (4) stages of Project Life Cycle, and discuss the importance of each
of them. (8 marks).
- What is the scope of a project and why it is essential, and
- How would you have defined the scope in Task 2; case study (AMEC Marine Construction) (Total 2×3=6 marks).
Q3. Using the tables below, (Project 1, 2, 3) plot out an AON project network for all three projects
- Identification of critical path
- Project duration (Total 2X3=6 marks)
Q4. Define the following cost appraisal methods and describe the benefits of each method
- Payback and
- IRR. (Total 3X2=6 marks)
Q5. Describe what is:
- Risk and Risk management and
- What are the five stages of the Risk Management process?(Total 2×3=6 marks).
Q6 I. Outline and explain what a quality audit in Project management is?
- II. What is a Project evaluation and why we are conducting one?
III. Explain what the purpose of monitor a project and
IV. What is Project control?