Important Tips On How To Write A Complaint Letter
Nowadays, every online support service has the ‘Help’ or ‘Contact us’ options available on the websites, which helps a person to raise a complaint regarding the products or services and get their issues resolved all at the comfort of their home. If asked to write a complaint letter, most of us are unaware of the pattern that needs to be followed while writing a complaint letter. The article will help you learn How to write a complaint letter.
As getting connected with the support team of a particular service provider is now easy, the majority of the population didn’t get the urge to know the process of writing a complaint letter. If asked to write or is necessary to raise a complaint, then a formal letter is mandatory.
What do you mean by a Complaint letter?
A complaint letter is a formal letter that addresses a concern regarding an offence, grievance, unfair things, etc. This type of letter helps in presenting the misconduct in a formal way and looking for a resolution. People usually use this letter of grievance to vent out their confined-up emotions caused by foul expertise or suffering. It is an elementary right and duty of a citizen to hunt for justice for all the misconduct or injustice done to him/her, which might be attained by writing a proper complaint letter. Let us now move forward and learn about how to write a complaint letter.
Steps on how to write a Complaint letter
To write a complaint letter is not much different from a formal one. A few important points need to be taken care of while writing a complaint letter. Even if you are not aware of how to write a complaint letter, you can go through the below details, which will help you in writing a fair complaint letter.
- Be direct and concise: To make the complaint letter more effective, try to keep the complaint letter as precise as possible. You can describe the inconvenience caused due to the product or services, which includes a few details if available:
- For Service Order/Invoice number is required.
- For any product, Serial Number or Model Name/Number is required
- Place and name of the seller from where the purchase is made.
If you are writing the letter with regards to a follow-up, then do mention the executive/spokesperson’s name and details of that conversation.
- State what needs to be done: It should be clearly mentioned what needs to be done regarding the inconvenience faced and mention the expected waiting time for the response. It is another important aspect to keep in mind when learning how to write a complaint letter.
- Avoid writing sarcastic, threatening, or offensive messages: As the complaint letter is also a formal letter, the tone of the letter should be formal throughout. The inconvenience caused or you are not satisfied with the service is acceptable; however, it should not be expressed in a sarcastic or threatening manner. The individual who will read the letter is not responsible for the inconvenience, and to get a proper response with the resolution, refrain from using such tone in the letter.
- Attach documents that are relevant: To speed up the investigation of the complaint, you need to attach relevant documents in support of the letter. For example, receipts, warranty of the product, work order, and any conversation that happened with the seller or chat team before can be attached. Always keep the original documents with you.
- Your Name and Contact Details should be mentioned: In the end, you need to include your name and contact details like phone number, email ID, or address (as per the concern). If there is any transaction-related issue, you can mention the bank details in the letter for a refund.
The most important point to know on how to write a complaint letter is to send the letter of complaint to the authorized person via mail and request a return receipt. By doing so, you will have proof that the concerned team received the letter.
Probably, by now, it is clear how to write a complaint letter and what points one needs to keep in mind while writing a formal complaint letter. In case if you are looking for more references, you can follow the complaint letter sample template below.
Sample Complaint Letter
678 New Road, Schenectady, NY 12345
April 15, 2021
Managing Director, Packers & Movers
221 Baker’s Street, WA 78695
I am penning this letter to explicit my dissatisfaction with the version ABC123 heater that I purchased on March 25, 2021, at your store at 1049 XYZ Street. Though the heater appears fine, while plugging it in the socket, there’s a spark whenever it is powered on, and it does not get hot. When I attempted to go back and give the product to the shop on April 05, 2021, the shop manager, Judy Rhodes, advised me that she wouldn’t receive the product as there’s no physical damage.
To get the issue resolved, I would request a refund of the total amount paid ($25, tax included) to my bank account, which is already registered in the store. I will also include a photocopy of the original invoice for reference.
I expect a response from your end. Kindly contact me at the address mentioned below or dial 7896538652 to connect with me within a fortnight.
You can add some more relevant information in the complaint letter to be more impactful. Although, do not burden the reader with a lot of information which will reduce the impact of the complaint put forward. The above-mentioned points are necessary and should not be missed when learning about how to write a complaint letter.
Frequently Asked Questions Related to Complaint Letter
What is a complaint letter?
A complaint letter is also a type of formal letter which is presented to the reader with all the wrongdoings or injustice that happened to you and you can seek a resolution from that.
What are the important points to keep in mind while writing a complaint letter?
- Be very clean and concise
- State what is required
- Avoid being sarcastic or threatening towards the reader
- Attach relevant copies of original documents for justification
- Provide contact details for further response.