How to Write a Research Paper on the Death Penalty
The death penalty is a controversial subject, with strong arguments on both sides. In some cases, research papers on the death penalty can be difficult to write because you might not have as much information as you need. However, with a little bit of work and research, writing your paper should be relatively simple. Even though the death penalty isn’t discussed as often as it used to be, the issue is still important and relevant today. There are many different viewpoints on whether capital punishment is ethical or not and how it should be handled if it remains legal in society. You can write your research paper on the death penalty by looking into its history, discussing its ethics and morality, and explaining different methods that have been used to execute prisoners throughout history.
What is death penalty?
The death penalty, also known as capital punishment or execution, is a sentence applied to someone convicted of a crime, usually murder or other violent crimes, in which that person is put to death by the state as punishment for their crime. This can be by beheading, electrocution, lethal injection, or other means. The death penalty is often called for when the crime in question is a very serious one, such as aggravated murder, treason, or terrorism. It is controversial because many people believe that the government shouldn’t have the right to take someone’s life, no matter what they did. Those who support the death penalty argue that it is an effective crime deterrent.
Decide on your position
In any research paper or argument, it is important that you state your position on the issue right away. If you are writing a paper about the death penalty, make it clear from the beginning how you feel about the topic. This can be as simple as writing a few sentences about your general thoughts on the death penalty and why you feel the way you do. This will help you focus your research and give you a place to start when looking for information.
Find information and sources
Now that you have a general idea of where you want to go with your paper, you need to start digging for information. Depending on the topic, this process can be very different for every person. You may want to look at older research papers or other papers on the death penalty to get a general idea or a specific argument to use in your own paper. If you are writing a paper on the death penalty and its history, you will want to look at scholarly articles, books, and journal articles that have been peer-reviewed.
History of the death penalty
Depending on the topic, you can choose to focus on the current death penalty or the history of capital punishment, or you can even go back and look at both. There are many different ways that the death penalty has been used throughout history and it is important to understand this. This will help you understand why it is controversial and how it has evolved over time. For example, you may want to look at how the death penalty has been used in different countries, how medical advancements have changed how it is applied, and how public opinion has changed as well.
The ethics of capital punishment
This is where you can really dig into the information you gather and make an excellent argument for your side. You want to first make sure that you understand why the death penalty is an ethical issue in the first place. You can do this by examining why people are against the death penalty and what ethical issues they have with it. When it is your turn to make an argument, you need to make sure that you have a strong and valid point. You can do this by exploring the ethical issues in-depth and providing sound and logical reasoning behind your argument.
Deterrence theory and the death penalty
Some people believe that the death penalty is an effective deterrent against future crimes. This is known as the deterrence theory. You can research this further by looking at specific studies on the death penalty and its usefulness as a crime deterrent. If a study can prove that it works, it can help strengthen your argument.
Problems with the death penalty
Even though people may be for capital punishment, there are still several ethical issues with the death penalty. You can start by outlining the main problems with the death penalty so you can address them in your paper. For example, the death penalty is irreversible, is disproportionately applied to certain groups, and causes psychological harm to those who are involved in applying it. If you can effectively address these issues in your research paper, you will make a strong argument for your side.
At the end of your research paper on the death penalty, you need to make sure to sum up your argument and provide some sort of closure to the reader. You can do this by summarizing what you discussed and then making a statement as to why you feel the way you do about capital punishment. You can also use this time to explain why you think the death penalty should or should not be used as an appropriate punishment for certain crimes.
When you are writing a research paper on the death penalty, make sure you follow the basic steps and keep an open mind. The death penalty is a controversial issue and you may have some resistance or difficulty finding the right information, but it is important to keep an open mind and accept information that may differ from your own opinion.
How to Choose a Good Death Penalty Research Topic
Creating a great topic for a research paper on the death penalty can be as difficult as the problem itself. It is difficult to say what topic you will cover in your research paper when it is a well-studied topic. For this reason, our writing service writers have prepared a comprehensive range of topics on this controversial topic.
Best Death Penalty Research Topics
- The death penalty discriminates against black crime victims.
- The death penalty in Iran.
- The death penalty throughout history and cultures.
- The death penalty in Saudi Arabia.
- The death penalty in the religious context.
- The moral aspect of the death penalty.
- Pros and cons of the death penalty.
- Evolution of the death penalty.
- The effectiveness of the death penalty in preventing crimes.
- Families of executed people: psychological context.
Death Penalty Topics for Essays
- Would you like to be a witness to an execution? Why or why not? Under what circumstances if any?
- Should the death penalty be a fair punishment?
- Do people who commit heinous crimes deserve the death penalty?
- Should the death penalty be used for juveniles?
- The death penalty is not the best punishment for hardcore criminals.
- The death penalty versus life imprisonment.
- The death penalty: proper or not? Is it moral? Is it constitutional?
- Is the death penalty effective?
- The death penalty: should it be allowed on the mentally ill?
- Does the death penalty have a racial bias in sentencing?
Topics on the Death Penalty: Argumentative Essays
- Euthanasia and the death penalty: barbarism or practicality?
- Is the death penalty too harsh?
- Can the death penalty be effective?
- Should the death penalty be re-established in Turkey?
- Why the death penalty is inhumane.
- Should clinical psychologists conduct competency assessments in death penalty cases?
- How should capital punishment be performed?
- Can the death penalty be seen as an act of revenge, not as a punishment?
- The chance of executing innocent people: who should take the blame.
- Does capital punishment make society more peaceful?
- Can we consider the death penalty as a means of revenge and not a means of punishment?
Death Penalty Topics for Speeches
- The act of forgiveness: is it applicable to serial killers?
- There’s always a chance to execute an innocent person. How can this problem be solved?
- Does the death penalty have a positive effect on crime rates?
- Pros and cons of the death penalty
- It is better to keep ten criminals alive than to execute one innocent person?
- The death penalty as a method of intimidation in third world countries
- Is the death penalty equal punishment for committing crimes that cause death?
- The psychology of a person condemned to death: what hides beneath the mask of flesh
- The status of the death penalty in the world’s most developed countries
- The responsibilities of lawyers in the case of condemnation to capital punishment
Pick one of these interesting topics and write your own essay on the death penalty. While it is complex to write about the death penalty, you will successfully complete this difficult task if you follow our simple guidelines. However, you contact our professional writers for an A+ paper.