This particular assignment begins our Research Report Package for the class. You will want to read the instructions for the final research-based report so that you have an idea of what types of topics to consider for the annotated bibliography.
You have completed various exercises in using OneSearch, a gateway through which you can find quality articles in the databases to which UMUC subscribes.
For this assignment, you will write an annotated bibliography of four sources. All four sources should be acquired through OneSearch. They should come from scholarly journals or trade journals.
Annotated bibliographies are written for various classes for different reasons. One reason for writing an annotated bibliography is to help you organize research you have begun for a paper.
You will prepare to write the annotated bibliography by completing the following steps:
- Consider a topic for your final report. Please refer to the instructions for the final report for more information on topics to consider. Again, click the here to review the instructions for the final report.
- Peruse through different sources that could inform the paper on that topic. You will want to consider many sources as you navigate the OneSearch interface.
- Select four of the sources you have found.
The annotated bibliography is to be written as follows:
- cite each article in APA format
- summarize each article in 100-150 words.
- write a one- or two-sentence evaluation at the end of the annotation explaining why this source might be helpful to you for your final report.
- list each reference (followed by its annotation) in alphabetical order.
Sample APA annotated bibliography: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/614/03/
Keep in mind that when you eventually write your research-based report, you don’t have to use every source you annotate for your annotated bibliography in that report. You might find that as you locate additional sources and consider your topic more thoroughly, you don’t use several of the sources you annotated. This outcome is not a problem. The purpose of writing the annotated bibliography is to help get you started on locating sources and allow you to begin analyzing and summarizing them.